Friday, January 30, 2009

Parent by Biology Only

I have two dads: my daddy who adopted me when he married by mother, and my paternal biological donor. My world has recently been rocked by hypocrisy. It turns out my dad may himself be some kid's faceless father.

It's hard to find the truth when parents say "it's none of your business" and "stay out" and "show some respect" as they do a blatant and poor job to whitewash over a steamy secret. I love a good mystery and the more mysterious the better!

So unbeknownst to my parents I have, given relatively few clues, searched for and found (thank you myspace) the name and location of this potential sibling and already made contact. Yes, he and I are comparing notes and both confused to learn that the truth is a slippery, elusive principle - hardly at all a reliable and solid fact.

I wonder why my dad is so loathe to discuss the point, and why he has no interest in knowing the truth. Why is he so afraid to even ask a simple question or receive a simple answer? It's a yes or a no. That's it. As a daughter abandoned by one father and raised by another, I am uniquely qualified to assess the situation from the other kid's point of view.

I say, it is better to face the truth than live in lies. Let us face our secrets and fears with eyes and hearts open for the miracle of love.

1 comment:

  1. "I say, it is better to face the truth than live in lies. Let us face our secrets and fears with eyes and hearts open for the miracle of love."

    Wonderful post - and I could not agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete